Sunday, January 21, 2007

R for Ridiculous

Ghost World is a 2001 indi film staring Thora Birch and Steve Buscemi. It is a rambling piece that felt like an amalgum of indies I've seen, with a suburban-type setting (like Welcome to the Dolls House), odd protaganist (Napoline Dynamite), themes of romantic fustration (You, And Me, And Everyone We Know) and comic style illustrations (American Splender).

V for Vendeta is a film my brother has been pushing me to see for some time, so I finally went home from a visit to his place with a barowed copy. It's an entertaning enough film, with a populist politicial psychology that is only 'surficley deep', however that's the Wachowski brothers for you, I mean look at their Christ metaphor in the Matrix films. That being said its still decent littel action flick.

Started a documentary class today, the second half will be in a couple of weeks. We watched The Road to Guantanamo, which is not a light Crosby and Hope comedy, but rather a look at the truely sucky experinace of three Pakastani Britians who where truely in the wrong place at the wrong time, when they where mistakenly picked up as terrorists in late 2001 Afghanistan. The film almost defies the documentary genra as it is about 90% reinactment, with the events real participents inserted as occasional talking heads. We also watched the movie Jesus Camp, followed by a panel discusion including a Presbyterian minister and Episcopal priest. I simply can not do justice to Jesus Camp, you need to see it to really understand it. I laughed, I cringed, I thought. I intend to see it again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home