Monday, January 08, 2007

Patriarch Eldred G. Smith turns 100


I'll be out of my house early Teusday and wanted to make sure I got mention in about the 100th birthday (January 9th) of Eldred G. Smith, the last Patriarch to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. For those of you who are not aware, there was a time when the office of Church Patriach ( a postion historicaly kept within the family of Joseph Smith Sr.) was one of the highest regarded, and arguabley most important in the Church. Some viewed the offices purpose as largely to provide a Smith family counterwight in the LDS Church, to the leadership claims of the Smith family presidents of the RLDS Church. Since the late 1970's tha church has had no offical Patriach, though Elder Eldred G. Smith is regarded as having the same statues as an emeritus Generial Authority (which in fact he is). Anyway there is a book about this lost office that I've been wanting to read for some time, and with this topic on my mind again, I might just pick it up the next time a see a copy available. Besides Wikipedia needs an entry on this subject and maybe I could write it. I should also mention that Elder Smith came to Nampa round about two years ago to speak, and I do regret not having gone to see him (I couldn't get proper directions to the appropriate chapel). I belive this photo is from 1994.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home