Thursday, January 11, 2007

Hepburn, Wayne & Stanwyck

To celebrate the centennial year for three of the biggest stars of classic Hollywood, I decided to netflix a new (for me) film of each of theirs. First off I watched Desk Set, a 1957 Hepburn/Tracy romantic comedy which is only fair as a movie, but had some periode set design I rather enjoyed. My John Wayne picture was the first for which he receved an Oscar nomination, as the tought but loving sargent Stricker in 1949's Sands of Iwo Jima, a war picture that strains under its Republic Pictures budget. Wayne lost the Oscar that year to Brodrick Crawford for All the Kings Men. Lastely Barbara Stanwyck sports an Irish accent for the sprawling railroad western Union Pacific, Cecil B. DeMills solid but largely forgotten entry from the crowded movie year of 1939. Also for those of you keeping track, I recently finished season 4 of Gilmore Girls.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home