Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Post Oscar Post

Well I got 14 out of 24 right in my Oscar predictions, which is about average for me. The one I'm really proud off is picking Alan Arkin over Eddie Murphy for best supporting actor, one of the big upsets of the night. Speaking of which, I guess having 3 songs from your movie nominated is the best way for your musical to have its vote split, and then lose the obvious award. Also, the minute I learned what West Bank Story was about, I instently wished I could have changed my vote in best live action short film. I'm also happy that The Lives of Others beat Pan's Labyrinth for best foreign language film. Though the fact that Letters From Iwo Jima is a foreign language film that was nominated for best picture, but not best foreign langauge film is a little odd.

Some other things I've been watching:

The Three Faces of Eve broke ground and won Joan Woodward an Oscar for playing a women suffering from multipal personality disorder. All but maybe the last half hour pales in comparsion to Sybil, a late 70's mini-series that covers a more serve case of the phenomina, and also features Joan Woodward. Eve is also a prime example of Nunnley Johnsons tast for odd openings and narrations (why Alistair Cook? Not that I'm complaining, but why Alistair Cook? I mean the movies set in Georgia!), and foundness for casting Lee J. Cobb as a virtuous authority figure.

The Pledge is the best movie my brother ever recomended to me. I'm not going to say much about the film, only that it is definatly worth seeing, and you spend the last half of the movie just waiting for things to blow up in Jack Nicholsons face. This movie also compelts my long belated list of the 5 best movies of 2001, listed below in alphabetical order:

1. A. I.: Artifical Intelligence
2. A Beautiful Mind
3. Mulholland Drive
4. The Man Who Wasn't There
5. The Pledge

Finally finished season 5 of Gilmore Girls, which really did feel like an improvment over season four.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home