Thursday, February 22, 2007

Oscar Picks 2007

Well the time has come for me to post my Oscar perdictions for the annual Oscar poll. I do however reserve the right to change my predictions up until the time of the Oscar broadcast, thought that seems unlikely. While I have modertly strong opinons on most of the major catagories, I'm really mostly guessing when it comes to some of the more minor ones.



Best Picture- I'd be voting for The Departed if I belonged to the Academy, and that is my prediction for winner. However I have a sneaking feeling that highley commited Little Miss Sunshine fans might be able to push their movie over the top.

Directing- Martin Scorses for The Departed, finally.

Best Actor- Forest Whitaker for The Last King of Scotland. Though if I where an Academy member I'd be highley tempted to cast my vote for Peter O'Toole, who should have one a best actor Oscar 45-years ago.

Best Actress- No brainer, Helen Mirren for The Queen.

Best Supporting Actor- Alan Arkin, Little Miss Sunshine.

Best Supporting Actress- I'm gonna play it safe and go for popular favorite Jennifer Hudson of Dreamgirls, though I'd have voted fro Adrina Barraza from Babel.

Best Animated Feature- Happy Feet

Best Documentary Feature- Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth seems to have a lock on the Zitgiest.

Best Foreign Language Film- Pan's Labyrinth

Best Art Direction- Dreamgirls

Cinematography- The Prestige

Costume Design- Marie Antoinette

Documnentary Short- The Blood of Yingzhou District (vote based on only on title)

Film Editing- Babel

Makeup- Pan's Labyrinth

Original Score- Babel (though I might have voted for The Queen)

Original Song- I only know one of the songs on this list, so I'm just going to pick something from Dreamgirls at random, how about: "Listen"

Animated Short Film - Maestro (because it just sounds like the name of a best short film winner)

Live Action Short Film- Binta and the great Idea (Binta Y La Gran Idea)

I'm spliting my vote on the next two catagories, because both film choices need to win at least one Oscar:

Sound Editing- Letters from Iwo Jima

Sound Mixing- Flags of Our Fathers

Visual Effects- Superman Returns, because I don't want Pirates to win an Oscar (sorry Dane).

Adapted Screenplay- Could Borat pull a 3-6 Mafia? No I vote for The Departed.

Original Screenplay- The Queen.

Nates awards rankings:

Most wins: Tie- The Departed and Babel with three each.

The Queen, Dream Girls and Pan's Labyrinth each get two.

While The Last King of Scotland, Little Miss Sunshine, The Prestige, Marie Antoinette, Letters from Iwo Jima, and Flags of Our Fathers each get one award.

















1 Comments:

At 10:46 PM, Blogger Jax said...

Here are my picks...

Yes, I think Martin will finally get his directing oscar but I will laugh histerically if they decide to give it to Clint... who may be more deserving of it.

Actor - Forest Whitaker
Supporting Actor - Eddie Murphy

Note: I would like to see Will Smith and Mark Wahlberg win just so the Fresh Prince and Marky Mark both get oscars the same year, and 1 year after the 3-6 Mafia :)

Actress - Helen Mirren (though as usual I will be pulling for Kate Winslet)
Supporting Actress - Jennifer Hudson (But I'd like to see Abigail Breslin)

The hardest choice for me was Best Picture but when all is said and done I think they will give it to The Departed over Sunshine.

Animated - Cars
Art Direction - Pan's Labyrinth
Cinematography - Children of Men (One of the nominated films I actually saw)
Costume Design - Marie Antoinette (Don't ask, I'm really not sure why)
Documentary Feature - An Inconvenient Truth (though I'm pulling for ANY of the other ones)
Documentary Short - Yingzhou (I also went based on the title)
Film Editing - Babel
Foreign Language - Pan's Labyrinth
Makeup - Pan's Labyrinth (but it should go to Apocalypto
Origional Score - (God Save) The Queen
Origional Song - Listen
Animated Short - The Little Matchgirl (just becasue it's so close to Little Miss Sunshine title wise)
Live Action Short - Eramos Pocos
Sound Editing - Letters from Iwo Jima
Sound Mixing - Dreamgirls (should go to Flags of Our Fathers)
Visual Effects - Pirates (sorry, but I think it's going to happen)
Adapted Screenplay - The Departed (but I'd love to see it go to Borat Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan... I'm going to guess it would be the longest titled film to ever win)
Origional Screenplay - Little Miss Sunshine

And the winner is...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home